Thursday, May 5, 2011

A New Frontier

So here's the deal.  In less than 12 hours I will be entering a zone I have never been before. Normally that phrase would not cause any concern. I have convinced myself that I love a challenge, don't care what other people think of me and I can handle anything! But as the hour draws near, I am questioning  these self pep talks. Maybe they are not so much constructional and motivational as just plain stupid.

Ok, here's the background. And if you know me, you know I love to tell a story in absolutely no order at all. And if you really know me, you know that I despise housework and there should be deadbolt on my door until somebody (not me) does something about the clutter and disorganization in my house! As I mentioned earlier, and as my blog name indicates, I am for lack of a better term (ok lazy might actually work here), domestically challenged. This being said, I have ventured out into the world of housekeeping.

What?? I can hear you now. Even louder is my voice, screaming in utter confusion and terror. The crazy thing is, apparently, I am actually good at housekeeping. I have an eye for detail and don't believe in doing the job halfway. This is just too funny, especially considering the condition of my own house. This revelation has opened my mind.  I'm not incapable of cleaning, just incapable of cleaning my house. The reason for that would be...THERE IS TOO MUCH STUFF IN THE WAY! I can't clean what I can't see. Therefore, I will be trying to tuck away some funds so that we can get our garage door fixed, and then start hauling away! I am ready to de-clutter!! Now to find the money, energy, organizational tools, etc to accomplish the task.

...and to start back at the beginning...the new frontier is an actual housekeeping job that I obtained by my little ol' self.  So now I have work on Friday..and on Saturday's (for the summer with the realty company). Yay me! But so nervous because the lady of the house will be there tomorrow and I want to be sure to look and act professional and do a good job. Ah the pressure.

One day at a time Leighanne, one day at a time. 

2 comments:

  1. so how are you entering a "new" zone today - when you started this job last week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. New zone is going into a complete strangers home, you know the place they live everyday, and cleaning...if work is not done to their standard they know exactly who to blame. Needless to say, I made sure to check and double check. Walking out, I was sure I had done my best, but worried if it would be good enough. There were a few items that I had not completed to my satisfaction, but had to move on and finish.
    Sent the homeowner an email later this afternoon. I was basically asking for her approval on the job, under the guise of "just a few notes."
    I was elated to check my email to read...We are SO happy with the house! What a wonderful way to start my weekend!!!!!....That made all the work I put in feel so good. My goal for the day had been achieved. The homeowners can relax in their home this weekend and focus on their kids. They are both full time professionals (in the medical field..one with their own practice). They have 3 kids, the newest member a beautiful girl, adopted. Plus, they have three pets. Alex (a dog looks like some greyhound mix), Charlie (a dog looks exactly like mom's Charlie) and they are rescues. A cat, I don't remember her name, she blew me off..you know cats are famous for that. They seem like a really great family.
    Cleaning the house today made me realize also that even though my family could totally utilize the space in that home..if I can't manage this little house, imagine if I let a house that size get out of control! The home was BEAUTIFUL. Totally strange, because honestly, it is a home if I was in the market, that I would walk into and say, this is the one, this is it. Spacious rooms, beautiful property, gorgeous neighborhood.
    Anyhoo, it may sound like I just walked on sunshine today because I did not. I still don't like the tasks themselves. But, I do take pride in them. It was just really nice to be working, in a nice home, for nice people, and rocking out the house to my ipod (via her ipod dock in kitchen)..which by the way was her idea :)

    ReplyDelete